Egham 5-58 Woking (Surrey 4)

Match Date: 
Woking Team: 
First XV
Opponent Team: 


Woking Score: 
Opponent Score: 

Woking traveled away to Egham, with both teams spurred on by the magnificent rugby on display in the 6 nations, the pace of the game from the off was frantic. Woking kicked deep from the start and a return clearance kick from Egham found the hands of captain Mike Aitchison who meandered his way down the pitch before an excellent cutting line from Matt Armstrong saw him scythe through the remaining defenders to cross the line for an immediate try, conversion missed by Justin Dougherty. A similar pattern of play unfolded from the next kick off, Andy Hussey this time making a quick break down the left wing before offloading in the tackle to the in support James Bannister. Egham looked stunned as a third try was run in in quick concession, Mike Aitchison making another line break and beating the floundering Egham fullback with a well timed pass to Dan Hills to score, the conversion this time successful.

The pace of the game slowed with Woking 17-0 in the lead after 10 minutes, and Egham seized their chance with a well trained catch and drive from a lineout securing them 5 points. Woking took the bull by the horns and immediately responded with a powerful scrum seeing Dan Hills make a break before big Ben Bremner, showing the fleet footed running of a man half his size, burst down the wing and placed Neil Murphy under the posts, conversion by Dougherty. 24-5. But for some excellent last ditch tackling from the Egham back three the game would have run away with Woking, but half time came to an abrupt halt as a big clash of heads between Egham skipper Cory and Dougherty caused the early exit of Dougherty from the game.

Tom Smith came on for the second half and made an immediate impact as he came clsoe to scoring on the right wing, before circling around to score on the left wing moments later. Hussey stepped up to convert but was unsuccessful. Matt Edwards and Rory Blundell were punching holes for fun in the Egham forward pack, and closely supported by the ever reliable Hursthouse and Brennan Woking made more inroads towards the Egham try line. A burst from Matt Edwards gave him a try off a quick tap penalty, before Blundell followed suit from a tap penalty only to be dragged down just short of the line. Aitchison in support gathered the pop from blundell and crossed the line, conversion by Hussey 36-5.

Dan Hills in broken play was like a reborn Zinzan Brook, his long sticky arms wreaking havoc as he held defenders at bay. One particular clash of titans shook the foundations of the Egham pitch as Hill sand opposite number 8 TJ smashed into each other. Hills got the better of his opposite man, and from the turnover ball Neil Murphy found a hole to dash through for another 5. 41-5. Before the close of the game Hills and Aitchison both crossed the line again taking the try tally for the day up to 10. Hussey added one more extra conversion and the game closed with 10 minutes to play at 5 - 58.

Coach Pete D'Cruz beamed after the game, "A fantastic team performance, it is great to see things put into practice at training coming into our game play on a Saturday. Some stand out performances from a number of players but the team work rate was simply phenomenal. Time to take the game to league leaders Reeds Weybridge at home next weekend!"