Match Date: 
Woking Team: 
First XV
Opponent Team: 


Woking Score: 
Opponent Score: 

With an early kick off due to the Autumn Internationals, Wokings injury ravaged warriors took to the field well prepared by captain for the day Pearce Johnson.
Merton started strongly making a number of runs into Woking’s twenty two, each of which was repelled by a well organised defence and slowly Woking gained dominance particularly at the set piece, with props Garvey and Haydar punishing their opposite numbers in the scrum and Johnson and Parker unbeatable in the line out. Fly half Aitchison marshalled his team around the pitch skilfully and Woking’s superior forward pack placed their opponents under concerted pressure for lengthy periods but failed to trouble the scoreboard and against the run of play Merton broke out and thanks largely to two missed tackles dotted down to start the scoring with a converted try. Woking continued to pressurise Merton but again failed to score as repeatedly the final ball went to ground rather than hand and yet again Merton ran through some weak tackling to double their advantage Merton 14 Woking 0 at the half time break.

As the second half began it was extremely obvious that captain Johnson was not going to allow his players heads to drop as he led by example and motivated his team to continue their dominance. From a well won lineout Woking set up a powerful maul which Merton just could not stop and it trundled over the line for Dickie to touchdown Merton 14 Woking 5. From the restart Woking again terrorised the Merton defence with replacement prop Power coming close only to be tackled at the last. Merton struggled, unable to cope with Woking’s power and repeated infringements led to a number of penalties and a yellow card. From yet another powerful surge forward by the pack Aitchison spotted the opportunity and dropped a goal to add a further three points. With time running out again the pack were camped on Merton’s try line and following a number of warnings the referee awarded them a penalty try giving Woking the lead for the first time in the match. As the game moved into added on time Woking conceded a penalty in front of their posts which Merton duly converted to take the win.

Club Chairman Andy Burrell speaking after the game stated how proud he was of the team and in particular those second team players who had stood up to cover injuries and given their all and the great leadership shown by Johnson and Aitchison.

1. Dave Garvey
2. Mick O’Shea
3. Lee Haydar
4. John Hursthouse
5. Matt Brennan
6. Josh Parker
7. John Dickie
8. Pearse Johnson (Captain)
9. Ross Cahalane
10. Mike Aitchison
11. Elliot Gough
12. Ryan Snape
13. Dan Hills
14. Tom Smith
15. Ben Hall

16. James Plowright
17. Evan Marchant
18. Simon Power
MotM Pearse Johnson