Woking kick off new season with hard fought away win.

Racal Decca 7 Vs Woking 24

For the second weekend in succession Woking RFC found themselves having to find new opposition as their original league opponents University of Surrey were unable to fulfil the scheduled league fixture.

A strong squad travelled to Tolworth to play Racal Decca buoyed by an encouraging performance the previous weekend away to Merton. There was a welcome return to the squad to some familiar faces and debutants Paul Worrell-Thompson and Jacob Woods.

Racal Decca started the stronger with a clear game plan to use their large ball carrying forwards to punch through the Woking defence. Despite a good 25 minutes of constant pressure Woking held firm with Mark Rose, Marc McGiven and Jacob Woods putting in some big tackles. Racal’s pressure did finally tell on the half hour as they powered over for a try under the posts.

Woking responded immediately and put together several phases of play which eventually saw Callum Wogan go over. Mark Rose converting. Now in the ascendency Woking capitalised on Racal Decca’s indiscipline, taking advantage of penalties to work their way up the pitch.

In the final 5 minutes of the half Jacob Woods capitalised on some poor handling by Racal Decca tidying up the loose ball to run in unopposed from just inside their half. Shortly afterwards John Dickie barged his way over picking up from the base of the ruck to complete a dominant 10 mins for Woking.

The second half started in a similar fashion with Racal Decca determined to cut the deficit. Despite making a number of changes at half time Woking’s defence held firm. Paul Worrell Thompson made several breaks in the centre to help get Woking up pitch as both sides cancelled one another out. With 10 minutes remaining and having been camped on the Decca try line for several phases Woking scored their fourth and final try, sealing a well-deserved and hard fought victory, as Dickie scored his second try of the afternoon.