Woking RFC 53 vs

Wandsworthians RFC 10

Woking secured back-to-back league wins for the first time in 5 seasons as they ran in nine tries to see off Wandsworthians RFC at Byfleet Rec. The hosts backed up their win away at Merton the previous week to consolidate their position in the top half of Surrey Counties 5.

Photo taken by Justin Cliffe
Photo taken by Justin Cliffe

On a perfect afternoon for rugby the hosts scored within the first 30 seconds as Josh Claydon collected the kick off and lead the charge forward. Woking recycled several phases before releasing their backs to devasting effect which saw full back Keihlan Watson receiving the ball out wide to cruise in unopposed. Mark Rose converted.

From the restart almost identical play saw skipper Jacob Woods receive the ball in midfield and punch a hole through Wandsworthians defence. Quick recycling again by the Woking pack allowed Mark Rose to send the ball out wide again with centre Carl Jacobz on hand to finish off in style out wide.

Having started with such intensity and purpose the large home crowd could be forgiven for expecting more of the same. However, Wandsworthians grew into the game as Woking indiscipline led to them conceding penalties which gave the visitors a platform to gain field position and put their hosts under pressure. This led to Wandsworthans enjoying their best period of the game and despite committed home defence Woking conceded two quick tries that made it a one score game.

The remainder of the first half was stop start as a series of stoppages for injuries and indiscipline from both sides meant Woking lost the fluidity and tempo from their game which had been so successful in the opening exchanges. On the stroke of half-time good play by the Woking pack lead to another penalty 5 meters out. From the resulting tap, skipper Woods crossed the whitewash only to uncharacteristically fumble as he went to put the ball down. 


Half-time: Woking 24 - 10 Wandsworthians


Not happy with the way the first half had gone the home side were keen to put things right and get back to the standards they had set earlier. With the luxury of having a strong bench coach Mark Rose was able to rotate his squad.

Not long after the restart more good phase play between forwards and backs created the opportunity for Watson to score his second of the afternoon. This was followed by a two tries each from winger Jake Sines and centre Finlay Rowe. The latter scoring his first points for the club.

Further Wandsworthians indiscipline resulted in a yellow card for a high tackle which Woking took full advantage of as Watson and Jacobz grabbed another try each. Not to be out done the Woking pack got on the scoresheet with the ninth and final try from John Dickie who went in unopposed from just a couple of meters out following a ruck. Rose successfully converted 3 of the 7 second half tries.

After the match captain Jacob Woods said, “It was great to build on last week's victory and despite doing our best to level things up in the first half the boys regrouped to put in the best performance of the season so far. It is great to know we have plenty of room for improvement and it was great to welcome back some injured players and more fresh faces. We now turn our focus to a tough away fixture away at London French with the goal to go the month unbeaten”


Full-time: Woking 53 - 10 Wandsworthians


Man of the Match: Finlay Rowe for two tries and all action display in defence and attack.